How to organize business information security?
To answer this question, it is necessary to understand what is meant by information security. In the classical sense, it is a set of specialized technical, software and methods designed to prevent the leakage or theft of data that can be used illegally or contrary to the corporate rules of the organization. The main task of the complex of such funds is not to combat the consequences, but to eliminate the possibility of violating the boundaries of personal information space or the internal information field of the enterprise. The reason for the increased attention of modern business managers to the methods of information security organization is the constant progress in the development of software and equipment used by criminals. At the same time, the theft of data of a very different nature is carried out – from payment and personal to financial, technological or design. This leads not only to significant reputational and financial losses, but sometimes even to bankruptcy of the company and large-scale court proceedings.
What factors are considered a threat to information security?
The leading causes of data theft or misuse worldwide are:
- carelessness and unsystematic use of information resources by employees;
- use of illegal software;
- hacker DDoS attacks;
- viruses and “malware”;
- activity of insiders (employees of the company who entered into an agreement with competitors on the supply
- of inside information);
- equipment theft.
What methods can be used to protect corporate information?
Most often, specialized groups of IT developers do not have time to react in time to the appearance of a new virus or malicious software. In the same way, the IT department of the enterprise may not detect the threat in time for various reasons. Therefore, only the comprehensive implementation of a number of means and methods of information protection can largely guarantee your security.
- integration of technical means of protection (ECM, security systems, video surveillance systems);
- basic solutions for protecting the information space (antivirus software, e-mail filters, differentiated access systems, periodic password changes, etc.);
- protection against DDoS attacks (systems based on specialized software);
- backup of information (placing copies on external media, on cloud resources of remote data centers or on a secure server);
- disaster recovery planning (also helps to ensure the continuity of work processes and minimizes the consequences of working in emergency mode, after failures, and so on);
- data encryption when exchanging information in electronic format (ensures confidentiality of correspondence, protection of corporate software, information resources from unauthorized copying and use.
The choice of specific solutions and tools for the organization of business information security is a complex, complex task that can only be performed by top-class specialists who are well acquainted with the current challenges and risks in this area.
As a rule, basic solutions are implemented at the stage of organization of the company’s computer network. However, in the future, they all require regular maintenance, updating and modernization.